Friday, July 21, 2006

Adventures in Dreamland (again)

This past Monday, right at the end of the work day, my supervisor gave me an assignment: "Go through our intranet program and delete every reference to 'Such-N-Such'," he assigned. "You don't have to worry about the 'Such-N-Such' Tutorial. Leave it in there."

"Okay," I said gleefully. "That'll give me something to do for a few days."

"It'll take more than a few days," he replied. "There's 628 pages..."

Believe it or not, I dreamt of the task during the night. I dreamt I accomplished the task in record time. You know, something like just a few minutes. What a dreamer, eh?

On Tuesday morning…well, read the e-mail I sent my boss.

  • [Boss], I had a dream last night. I dreamed that I got rid of all the 'Such-N-Such' references in [our intranet program]. (Snap!! Just like that.) Well, wouldn't you know it, when I got to work this morning, I found only 12 references remaining—and they are tutorial slides.
    Am I good or what?
    Paul Nichols

He got up from his desk and walked over to mine and asked, "Do you dream about your work?" Then he deadpanned, "I decided to have the web administrator take care of 'Such-N-Such'. Sorry I didn't e-mail ya."

I haven't had anything to do for a few days.

No comments: