Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Department of Inspiration

In fiction, there is a great difference between great characters and great names. Great characters inspire me to write. Great names are alive: poetic and romantic. They learn me good to write.

There are dozens and dozens of great fictional names (here’s 100 examples). But there are only a few poetic names; those magical names that drive you to learn more about that character. Dancing names that twinkle and then leave you breathless. Exciting and creative names that make me wish I had given my kids such a name. Here are the only three that have really captured me so far. My favorite fictional names.

  • Lightfoot McLendon, Cold Sassy Tree, by Olive Ann Burns, 1984
  • Cat Dancing, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, by Marilyn Durham, 1972
  • Holly Golightly, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, by Truman Capote, 1958

All women, by the way. How about you? Have you found a favorite fictional poetic or romantic name?