I’m always making lists, as all two of my faithful readers have probably discovered. So I was real happy to get this list by someone else. It was put together by our church’s brand new Youth Pastor, Aaron. He’s a keeper.
To get acquainted with us last Sunday he preached while our Senior Pastor was out of town. Here’s the terrific list he used for sermon notes. He called it “Going Back to the Basics.”
From the Gospel of Matthew, here’s list of all the things that Jesus told us TO DO.
- Worship the Lord and serve him only. Mt 4:10
- Repent. Mt 4:17
- Follow me. Mt 4:19
- Shine your light before me and do good deeds. Mt 5:16
- Your righteousness must surpass the Pharisees Mt 5:20
- Settle matters quickly. Mt 5:25
- Give to those who ask, and don’t turn away from those who want to borrow from you. Mt 5:42.
- Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. Mt 5:44
- Give to the needy. Mt 6:2
- Pray. Mt 6:5
- Forgive people who sin against you. Mt. 6:14 & 18:35
- Fast from food once in awhile. Mt 6:16
- Treat people the way you’d like to be treated. Mt 7:12
- Enter through the narrow gate. Mt 7:13
- Do God’s will. Mt 7:21
- Acknowledge Jesus before men. Mt 10:32
- Honor your father and mother. Mt 15:4 & 19:19
- Be humble. Mt 18:4
- Confront the person you have a conflict with. Mt 18:15
- Love your neighbor as yourself. Mt 19:19 & 22:39
- Serve everyone. Mt 20:26-28 & 23:11
- Love God with all your heart, soul and mind. Mt 22:37
- Feed, clothes, visit and invite in the poor and needy. Mt 25:35
- Make disciples and baptize them. Mt 28:19
And so I got to thinking that if I review and practice this list every day (back to the basics), I won’t have to worry about that other list of “Thou-Shall-Nots” (wag finger; wag finger). It seems like an easier way to live a Christian life.
Whatcha think? And whatcha think of our new Youth Pastor?