Friday, December 27, 2013

Angels Watch Over Us



My friend Jennie Carpenter gave me this idea. It’s all her brilliance. My recap of 2013.

  1. At noon on New Year’s Day, my daughter had been married for about 24 hours.
  2. I began a project: “365 Days of Gratitude” to post on Facebook.
  3. It was 72 degrees here one day in January. Two days later, it was 10. TEN degrees!
  4. I had my first helping of kale in January.
  5. I fell asleep during the Super Bowl and never knew who won for three or four days.
  6. I turned 70 for the first time.
  7. I started writing my first full-length novel. A romance novel, despite my age and gender.
  8. 2013 was the Chinese Year of the Snake. 2014 is the Year of the Horse.
  9. Our church baptized 17 people one Sunday. Lots of praisin’ the Lord, movin’ and shakin’. Know what I mean?
  10. We made a down payment on a house. We got our money back. Bad house, after all.
  11. Our friend, Bob Sewell passed away in Dallas. (#1)
  12. I make our own Almond Butter.
  13. I always eat Ice Cream for Breakfast on March 20. Please join me. I’ll explain later.
  14. Two sisters-in-law and an aunt came to visit. No reason. They’re from FL and MS. “Girls Night Out” for four days.
  15. I went way too many days without writing in my diary. What’s up with that?
  16. I have a collection of coffee mugs from 35 states. Only 15 more states to visit.
  17. A teenager asked for my autograph, just because I write. I asked for her autograph, just because she wants to become a writer. I keep it in one of my diary books.
  18. April is Autism Awareness Month. Please help us find the missing piece.
  19. I like Greek food; Persian (Iranian) food, Mexican food, Chinese food, American food, Middle Eastern food, Holy Land food, Japanese food, Thai food, Italian food—just to name a few.
  20. I watched the movie, “The Lone Ranger,” in a theater (think Johnny Depp).
  21. Our great friend Bud passed away in Arkansas. (#2)
  22. We joined two “fellowship” groups in our church. One is music only; the other is a book study. Both are fun and the people are great!
  23. I like personal mail. Personal letters. Haven’t had one in awhile. Need my address?
  24. I watch “The Red Green Show” on PBS as often as I can.
  25. Our neighbor died in her sleep. (#3) She used to babysit our dog.
  26. The 4tha July is my favorite holiday.
  27. Everybody should have a fast, fast car! Or a Harley. Or both. And a pickup.
  28. I love kids. All ages.
  29. My barber, Dave, retired. He let me be the 3rd from last customer on his retirement day.
  30. Three super friends read (parts of) my novel manuscript and sent back input and encouragement.
  31. Every 5th Sunday of the month, teenagers are the  greeters at our church. They let me be in charge. I guess I’m just a kid at heart.
  32. Marcie and I attended my nephew’s funeral in Colorado. He died in Afghanistan. (#4)
  33. After a two-year absence (not my choice), I started blogging again. Yee-haw!
  34. I hydroplaned off the freeway at 60 mph. I was almost #5. Angels, for sure.
  35. I wear colored T-shirts for underwear. I like red ones best. Or bright yellow. Or orange…
  36. I got to spend almost an hour with Angela Hunt, renown Christian author. She’s an angel.
  37. I never missed a writers’ meeting this year. I missed a couple of critique groups, though.
  38. Gloria and I celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary with friends and family.  Fun, food, fellowship, fotos and frolic. Scroll down to the previous post to read all about it.
  39. Our grandson lived with us for three months, then took a gamble and moved to Las Vegas.
  40. I got a Chinese fortune cookie that says, “You have a charming way with words and should write a book.” I saved that one and put it my diary book.
  41. Yankee Stadium is a special place and I want to go there. Who’s with me?
  42. Mariano Rivera pitched his last game for the New York Yankees. He is a class act. (I wanted him to be Number 42 here.)
  43. Peppermint Ice Cream is a Christmas tradition at my house. Come on over!
  44. Sometimes I wish I was a famous photographer. And artist. And graphics designer.
  45. I dream of walking across the United States. I want to. It will only take 16 months.
  46. I walked about 450 miles this year. In the mall during cold weather days; outside, otherwise. Two years ago I walked over 1200 miles all year. In all kinds of weather.
  47. Church/Mass on Christmas Eve seems only natural.
  48. At our Christmas Eve service, Miss Laurel sang the best version of “O Holy Night,” I ever heard in my entire life. Thrilling and goose-bumpy. Like an angel. I told her so.
  49. We opened gifts at my daughter’s house this Christmas Eve. Family matters.
  50. I crave In-and-Out Burgers. Or Smashburgers. Or What-a-Burgers. Even Jack in the Box burgers. Wanna welcome the new year with me?
  51. I’m getting set up to do this again next year. Stay tuned. Wait here for me.
  52. I’m a jenius. So is Jennie. The only two in the world.
Thank you, Jennie, for your post. You’re an inspiration. You’re a delightful writer. You’re a special friend to so many people. Angels watch over you, don’t they?

8 comments:

Jennie said...

I love it! I'm glad God's angels are here doing his good work! I'm going to copy you and do it next year too!

kenju said...

I may have to counter that last one, as I know several, including me.

Monique said...

I love #13.

Scrappymommy said...

I like it a lot! You forgot to write: my grandson' smile relay was 2nd fastest in the state of Texas for 2 weeks! Until some group of kids from Midland beat them out!

Scrappymommy said...

Not SMILE RELAY (that would be funny).....MILE relay!

Janell said...

Happy New Year, Paul! I hope you don't have to attend any funerals in 2014!!!

raybanoutlet001 said...

ray ban sunglasses
hermes belts
polo ralph lauren
ugg boots
bears jerseys
ugg boots
pandora jewelry
nhl jerseys
pandora outlet
oakley sunglasses
2017.7.8

Healthmedsdispensary said...

Check out #phentermine reviews from our site healthmedsdispensary.com only place being able to give out scripts even during the co19demic and then tell us what you think. Script or none you have this period to take the journey. Open for questions and ready with answers to your weight loss problems. Tip for all of its not white with blue specks don’t do it. 😊
Phentermine online prescription
Buy Ritalin online now
Adderall for sale online