I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. If you happen to be driving past Pancake Flats and don’t see me, it’s because My First Wife and I are headed for Amarillo, Texas, for a lapful of grandkids. Enjoy your feast and your family.
And then for your holiday reading pleasure…
I want to tip my hat to Emmitt Smith, a former professional football star. He and his trainer/dance partner, Cheryl Burk, recently won a TV contest called Dancing with the Stars. Even though I never watched the show, I was rooting for Emmitt all the way. (I kept up via Yahoo!) Oh, and congratulations to Cheryl, too.
- Emmitt Smith is a faithful husband and a dependable father.
- He has a world-class work ethic.
- Emmitt Smith is a man of integrity.
- He has a generous heart for those less-privileged than himself.
- Emmitt Smith is an astute business man.
- He is a trustworthy man.
- Emmitt Smith is a humble man.
- He has vision.
- Emmitt Smith has a special, untouchable will to win.
- Emmitt Smith has a special, untouchable sense of graciousness.
- He promised his mother he’d earn his college degree. And he did, even though he was already a big-money football star.
- I once saw Emmitt Smith—with a separated shoulder—reach up and snatch a first-down pass. He should have been on the sidelines, but his sacrificial attitude, and that painful catch, propelled his team on to the Super Bowl.
- Emmitt Smith is an unselfish team player.
- I admire Emmitt Smith because he gives back to the communities that supported his drive to the mountaintop(s). Pensacola, Florida; the University of Florida; Dallas, Texas; Phoenix, Arizona.
- I admire Emmitt Smith because even though he stood on the pinnacle(s)—he didn’t camp there.
- I admire Emmitt Smith because he never let the front page change who he is.
- I admire him because he provides education funds for kids who really need it.
- I admire him because he is untouched by scandal.
- I admire Emmitt Smith because he isn’t afraid of pain or risks or hard work.
- I admire Emmitt Smith because, to the best of my knowledge, he never criticized anyone.
- Emmitt Smith smiles!
- Emmitt Smith can dance!