Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Adventures on the Mountaintop

Just this morning, My First Wife said to me, “This is such a good feeling. I’m still not used to this.”

It only took 15 years, but My First Wife and I climbed a mountain higher than the highest. We reached the pinnacle in March. It was a mountain of debt. Strangely enough, the air down at the bottom of a debt mountain is thinner than at the top. You can hardly breathe at all down there. I'm pretty sure it isn’t what God intended.

Anyway, for the first time in our marriage we are debt-free. We also have a savings account that says $ $ $ $, not ¢. And when we get to the middle of the month and there are no bills left to pay…well, that might be better than chocolate.

Lemme tell you, the struggles and sacrifices to get here: we’d do ‘em again just for the euphoria of reaching this mountain peak.

We recommend learning to live debt free. And we think local school systems should teach some of the basics of financial responsibility. You know: set up a budget; balance your checkbook; spend cash not plastic; how to save for a rainy day; stay outta debt. That kinda stuff.

No comments: