Monday, March 05, 2007

The Joy of Goose Goo

I used my lunch hour today for a 1 1/4 mile walk in a pretty Missouri city park. I’ve walked there many times and always enjoy it.

This pretty park has a pond about 150 feet long and 50 feet wide. In the spring and summer, it’s well-stocked with fish that children can easily hook. I’ve seen a lot of them catch fish, then throw them back—with authority! Ducks and gooses swim around hoping for a handout, but the sign says, “Don’t feed the waterfowl.” In the fall, the pond is full of leaves and litter. Somehow that all gets scooped away and the ducks and geese apparently go to Texas. Finally, a winter ice pond. The sign says, "No Ice Skating!"


The walking trail in the park is 4/10 mile and part of it slips along the southern edge of the pond. Today two ducks floated around acting like a couple of teenagers on their first date. Over on the other bank were two gooses surveying the neighborhood. On the trail, were several big globs of greenish goose goo.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Alright! In the spring, a young man’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of goose goo. Well, I don’t particularly like goose goo, but if it means warm weather is just around the next bend, then I’m all for it. But I think they should put a sign up that says, "No Goose Gooing!"

If you live in Texas, you’ll notice your goose population is dwindling. If you live in Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and so forth, I hope your winter ends really soon so you can enjoy some goose goo. Maybe a goose dinner, too.

No comments: